Responding to a growing need amongst sailors for a more comfortable, simpler and easy-to-own daysailer, J/Boats is excited to announce a sleek new 28 footer (the “J/9”) with perhaps the most comfortable cockpit and easiest-to-manage sailplan in this size range.
“With the J/9 , we set out to reimagine how to make sailing easier, more relaxing and more inclusive,” said Jeff Johnstone of J/Boats. “This is a boat you can sail by yourself in just a few minutes, or bring along the whole gang with plenty of room to spare. Escaping to the water and enjoying shared family adventure has never been more important, and the J/9 is the perfect platform.”
The J/9 cockpit has four great corner seats to nestle into and enjoy the day. With friends and family aboard, everyone can find the perfect place to relax. And access aboard has never been easier. A swim platform behind the cockpit allows walk-through boarding, and on those downwind sails home, you can cool off by dragging your feet in the water.
Sailing the J/9 is as easy as hoisting the mainsail and trimming the sheet. Why make it any more complicated? Look around on the water and you’ll notice 80% of the sailboats are sailing with only one sail. The answer is keep it simple! One tiller, one sheet. The big difference with the J/9 is you will be sailing with one sail more comfortably and quicker than most others with two sails or under motor. Ready for the afterburners? Simply unroll the jib and enjoy effortless, stable & smooth sailing from the comforts of the best J/Boats cockpit ever.
The daysailing community has not benefitted from a dedicated design from J/Boats since the award-winning J/100 (33’), which remains one of the most sought-after J’s created. The NEW J/9 offers the cockpit comfort and sailing features of a larger boat, at a price most will find competitive to the best brokerage offerings.
• Easy-access cockpit with deep, secure 8.4' cockpit seats and backrests, self-draining cockpit and step-on transom for easy swim platform boarding.
• A deck layout optimized for simplicity and efficiency with sail controls led to the cockpit.
• 20” lifelines and rails with starboard and transom boarding gates for secure boarding from a dock or a launch.
• Keel-stepped, tapered aluminum mast with single spreaders.
• Jib roller furling system with single-line self-tacking option.
• Tiller steering – more responsive and maneuverable than a wheel, and the driver can comfortably sit with feet braced across the cockpit. At anchor, simply hinge up the tiller to expand one’s social area. And for solo sailors a belowdecks auto-pilot is available.
• Low VCG (vertical center of gravity) 4.9’ fixed keel standard, with shoal-draft 3.9’ optional.
• Auxiliary engine options: inboard diesel, inboard electric, or transom bracket for portable electric or 4-stroke gas outboard.
• Interior with main cabin seating, cooler, storage compartments, ventilation from two opening ports and skylight hatch, and a marine head system forward of the main bulkhead with privacy curtain and optional V-Berth package.
• Easy to trailer behind an SUV or ship overseas on an angled cradle inside a container.