The one and only BIONIC ELK. Perhaps the most striking of the modern generation of Baltic Yachts. Built regardless of cost and arguably the speed machine of all. Lots of recent refit expenditure leaves her in sparkling shape and ready for her next owner. A great opportunity to acquire an icon of modern yachting.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Quite simply, the ultimate performance cruiser. Baltic Yachts legendary build quality in Epoxy sandwich with carbon and Kevlar, ultra-slippery Judel Vrolijk hull lines, easily-operated and very well-hidden canting keel and daggerboard systems, easily-managed rig set-up for short-handed sailing, and a fantastic modern interior layout with three cabins, two heads plus further occasional berths in saloon and pilot-berths aft. Her specification highlights include:-
- Teak decks
- Retractable bowthruster
- 24vDC domestic systems with Gel batteries
- Mastervolt Generator
- Spectra Watermaker
- CLD Air-Conditioning
- Canting keel with daggerboards
- Carbon rig with Park Avenue boom
- Carbon laminate sails plus gennakers and Code 0.
- Lewmar 3-speed electric winches close to helm for sail controls
- Gaggenau galley
- B&G instruments with radar, plotters and H5000 nav instruments
Originally launched in 2005 and the first in the Baltic 56 semi-custom series, BIONIC ELK is by far the most unique and performance orientated of her class. Simply perfect for inshore racing, she also has great ocean-legs as proved by an ARC-crossing in her early life.
Extensively updated throughout her life, her most recent refit took place in 2017 with Baltic Yachts Service in Palma de Mallorca, shortly before her purchase by her current owners. Highlights from this refit included:-
- Complete new B&G electronics system with 3x Zeus 12” plotters, full H5000 system and mast-mounted 30/30 displays
- Rig taken out, mast and boom clear-coated and replaced rod standing rigging
- Replacement upgraded Yanmar saildrive gearbox
- New suit of North 3Di sails
- Repainting of superstructure
- New exterior canvas work
- New interior covers, mattresses and cushions
- New Gel service batteries
- Overhaul of all systems, seacocks, keel box etc (carried out later in La Coruna)
- Servicing of engine and gearbox
BIONIC ELK is now offered for sale in sparkling condition at an extremely realistic price, representing a tiny fraction of her replacement cost. Part exchange for a smaller +/-50ft yacht would be considered.
Baltic 56 no 1 hull "BIONIC ELK" is certainly a full out example of maximum flexibility. The deck and interior layouts are 100% custom, tailor designed and styled by Judel/Vrolijk to suit the clients’ wishes. The technology level is extremely high utilizing pre-preg carbon laminates, foam sandwich in the hull with honeycomb sandwich in the deck laminates and in general the technology is taken to the highest level.
The boat is furthermore equipped with a canting keel system allowing the keel to swing 40 degrees to each side boosting the sailing stability without making the boat heavy.On our previous canting keel 78-footer Super Baltic 5, we used a canard forward, but this time the 56 no.1 had twin dagger boards. The dagger boards are more effective since they are further back hence lessening the up and down movement, they are designed with asymmetric foil shape giving better lift drag ratios and additionally they are closer to vertical when sailing also making them more effective
BALTIC YACHTS OVERVIEW:
Baltic Yachts was founded 35 years ago in 1973 by five men looking to build superior yachts – or superyachts - that would give them the edge over their competitors. Baltic Yachts is now one of the leading names in custom and semi-custom made luxury yachts for sale.
The Baltic Yachts Ltd yard is located in a village called Bosund on the West coast of Finland. Here they have developed excellent facilities for building their yachts.
The first yacht built by Baltic Yachts Ltd was the Baltic 46 in 1974. Since then they have built custom and semi-custom built yachts for sale in all sizes from 38ft to 152ft.
- RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean” (or Cat B – whichever is appropriate)
- Hull is built in advanced composite construction using Epoxy infused vacuum bagged sandwich laminates that are post-cured in order to achieve optimum characteristics and strength.
- Main reinforcements in all laminates are unidirectional and multi-axial Carbon.
- Hull outer skin incorporates layers of Aramid fibres for added impact resistance and safety.
- Hull colour: Jaramabeige, metallic – Lazarette repainted 2018
- W.L. colour: Silver, metallic
- Main chain plates fully in composite. Incorporated into the Bulkheads and hull lay-ups. Composite chain plates fitted with bushings and easy removable stainless steel pins.
- Engine beds incorporated in hull, built up of laminate around a PVC foam core. Special care is taken to ensure a rigid foundation and correct bonding using Yanmars own engine bed for sail drive version
- Antifouled – July 2018
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Deck is built in advanced composite construction using Epoxy vacuum bagged sandwich laminates that are post-cured in order to achieve optimum characteristics and strength.
- Main reinforcements in all laminates are unidirectional and multi-axial Carbon.
- High loaded areas strengthened with additional laminate or/and C-plates.
- Pre-preg deck laminate with Nomex sandwich.
- Superstructure resprayed – 2017 by Nautipaint in Palma
- Teak deck on side decks, cockpit floors and seats and on the coamings.
- The teak is epoxy glued to the FRP deck using vacuum bagging technique.
- No screws and plugs used except for the in the centre pieces and the outboard parts.
- The teak deck is a structural part of the deck hence laminate can be reduced in the teak decked areas in order to minimise weight.
Keel & Rudder:
- Canting keel system with Carbon twin dagger boards
- Keel fin casted from a high-grade heat-treated Stainless Steel
- Keel bulb in Lead with added Antimony
- Twin hydraulic cylinders, P&S, for the canting operation
- Hydraulic power pack 24V/DC for canting keel and dagger board system
- Canting keel hydraulic system completely refitted 2014
- Canting keel pistons refitted by Rexroth – 2014
- Keel box repainted 2018
- The cantilevered semi-elliptical balanced spade rudder is moulded from Carbon and filled with PVC
- Foam filling under high pressure in special strengthened mould.
- The rudder stock is made of high strength, Carbon - Epoxy construction using "Vacu-Press" manufacturing system.
- The rudder stock is tapered and dimensioned to the corresponding bending moments in order to minimise weight.
- The rudder stock passes through self-aligning roller bearings and a stuffing box which is strongly bounded to the hull.
- Rudder bushes replaced 2014
Engine & gearbox:
- Yanmar 4JH3-TCE SD main engine 55,2 kW (75 hp) at 3800 rpm 4 in-line vertical cylinders, 4-stroke
- engine. 1.995 Liters, Direct injection,
- Saildrive reduction gearbox SD60 – fitted November 2017
- Freshwater engine cooling
- Digital single lever gear/throttle control at starboard helm
- Racor fuel/water separator
- Engine space 24vDC extraction
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine hours: approx 660 as of Winter 2018/19
- Date of last engine service – March 2018
- Date of saildrive diaphragm replacement – November 2017 (with fitment of new gearbox)
Propulsion & Steering:
- Brunton Varifold 3-bladed folding propeller – November 2017
- MAX Power 24vDC retractable bow thruster - Fitted 2009
- Carbon twin steering wheels
- 24vDC domestic systems with 220vAC via shore-power, inverter or generator
- 2x 12vDC Gel engine and generator start batteries
- 4x 12vDC Gel Exide 210Ah service batteries joined in series and parallel to supply 420Ah @24vDC - 2018
- Mastervolt 24v/100A battery charger
- Dolphin 12v charger for engine and generator start batteries
- Mastervolt Whisper 6kw generator
- Dedicated Racor fuel/water seperator
- Generator hours: approx 118 as of winter 2018/19
- Date of last generator service – December 2017
- Mastervolt MASS 24/3500 3.5kw inverter
- 24vDC engine mounted alternator for service battery bank.
- Baltic Yachts custom made with automatic safety circuit breakers. Indication diodes, amp meters, and voltmeters
- 220vAC 50Hz Shore power
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- Water heater, Sigmar. Heater capacity is 40 L. Heated by engine cooling water and shore power.
- Heater to have possibility to be drained for racing
- Water pressure system with outlets in heads and galley.
- Telephone type shower, water faucet for cold and hot pressurised water.
- Deck shower outlet warm & cold.
- Spectra Newport 60 litre per hour watermaker.
- Two diaphragms type manual bilge pumps with removable handles. Locations: one in salon and one in cockpit.
- 24vDC electric bilge pumps with manual overrides in main bilge, forward bilge and aft bilges
- Seacocks overhauled and replaced where necessary 2018
- All tanks are Baltic custom made in stainless steel with baffles and inspection covers and are pressure tested
- 300 litre fuel capacity in 2x fuel tanks
- Digital tank level gauge at chart table
- 350 litres water capacity in 2x water tanks
- Digital tank level gauge at chart table
- 50 litres water capacity
- Tankwatch 4 holding tank monitoring system
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- 2x B&G Zeus 12 radar GPS chart plotter touchscreens in cockpit with Broadband radar – 2017
- B&G Zeus 12 GPS chart plotter touchscreen in saloon – 2017
- B&G H5000 system with main processor, Precision 9 digital compass, masthead unit, speed sensor, depth sensor and rudder feedback - 2017
- 2x B&G H5000 displays at helms - 2017
- 4x B&G 30/30 mast-mounted repeaters in custom carbon display mast-box - 2017
- B&G H5000 autopilot system with digital controller at port helm and at chart table - 2017
- 2x steering compasses
- Simrad RS87 DSC VHF
- McMurdo Smartfind M5 Class A AIS transponder – 2014
- Galley with 2 burner Gaggenau gimballed propane stove with oven.
- Galley fan with grill in upper locker and channel behind it to suction fan in lazarette
- Gaggenau microwave oven
- Custom made Frigonautica stainless steel refrigerator and freezer compartments with remote temperature controls at chart table - 2017
- 2x electric heads
- Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower in heads
Heating & Ventilation:
- Air conditioning unit is CLD marine, with a main unit (twin compressor 24000BTU) in engine room.
- Distribution units in owner’s cabin and salon.
- Owner’s cabin unit can provide both guest cabins with conditioned air.
- Samsung LCD television on cantilever arm - 2017
- Bose 3-2-1GS media centre with acoustimass module, gemstone speakers and Bose room amplifier SA2
- Sony waterproof stereo speakers
- Alpine CDA-9830R stereo in owner’s cabin with Poly-Planar MA905 speakers
Summary of Accommodation:
- Up to 10 berths in one double master cabin, two twin guest cabins, two aft pilot berths and occasional settee berths in saloon.
- Master forecabin with centerline queen bed, drawers under bed. Hanging lockers to starboard and port sides against bulkhead.
- Next aft to starboard is forward head, access from master cabin. Directly to Port is Guest head, access from corridor.
- Port side cabin, single bed with pullman bunk above, seat and hanging locker.
- Starboard side cabin, single bed with pullman bunk above, seat and hanging locker.
- Next aft is the salon- galley is located portside, navigation station directly to starboard.
- Next aft is U-shaped settee with table (settee and table can be converted into a double berth).
- To port is a bench settee.
- Aft of saloon area are pilot berths to port and starboard with engine access from port berth.
- Advanced lightweight construction techniques used in construction of the interior.
- A custom-made high technology laminating press is used for the lamination of the main bulkheads and interior panels.
- The use of this press results in bulkheads and panels with very high laminate quality and surface smoothness enabling application of thin wood veneer on visible surfaces without excessive use of filler.
- Interior built in Pre-preg carbon/Nomex sandwich panels.
- External finishes in either varnished wood, spray silver/grey or lacquered carbon fibre
- Interior covers, mattresses and cushions replaced 2017
- Hall Spars deck-stepped fractional mast in 34-700 standard modulus carbon fibre
- Mast finish - clear coated 2017
- Two (2) sets of fully tapered carbon fibre “straight” air foil spreaders
- Rod standing rigging – replaced 2017 by RSB Rigging in Palma de Mallorc
- Hydraulic mast step
- Female moulded deep "V" ‘Park Avenue’ cored section boom autoclave cured pre preg 34-700 carbon fibre - clear coated 2017
- German mainsheet system with Fredriksen traveller on cockpit sole aft of helms
- Carbon fibre forestay with manual sub-deck furler led aft to electric winch at helm
- Lazy Jacks
- Female moulded deep "V" ‘Park Avenue’ cored section boom autoclave cured pre preg 34-700 carbon fibre
- Navtec hydraulic adjustable split backstay, outhaul, boom vang and jib halyard tensioner
- Fredriksen self-tacking jib system with additional side-deck tracks
- Retractable carbon fibre bowsprit for asymmetric spinnakers
- 2x Lewmar 77-3ST OR powered primary winches
- 2x Lewmar 66-3ST OR powered sheet/halyard winches
- North Sails 3Di mainsail – 2017 used just twice
- North Sails 3Di jib – 2017 used just twice
- One Sails Millennium mainsail with 2-reefs
- One Sails Millennium self-tacking jib
- Onesails A4 heavy airs gennaker
- Onesails A2 light gennaker – 2014
- Code Zero
- Storm Jib
- A pulpit and pushpit made of Stainless Steel tubes are mounted on the bow and transom.
- The pulpit is fitted with navigation lights and the pushpit with a stern light.
- Double lifelines are installed passing through S.S. stanchions.
- Double the life lines are of stainless-steel wire and set up with turnbuckles at the after end.
- Lifeline gates P & S.
- Flag pole in carbon.
- Bracket for flag pole on pushpit SB side.
- Stainless Steel handrail for main companionway.
- Swimming ladder on transom.
- Folding 4-person cockpit table
- Carbon gangway, 3.2 m, JP3.
Covers & Canvas:
- Sprayhoods for made of waterproof and sun resistant sand-coloured canvas - 2017
- Sand-coloured cockpit cushions with closed cell filling - 2017
- Sand-coloured boom awning for cockpit - 2017
- Winch covers - 2017
- Helm covers - 2017
- Mainsail cover – 2017
- Guardrail pads - 2017
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Anchor windlass, Lewmar concept 3 , gypsy only, electrical 24V/DC 2000W incl.
- Anchor Delta 25kg
- 80m of 10mm chain
Tender & Outboard:
- Zodiac tender
- Evinrude 4hp outboard
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
- 2x 6-man liferafts
- KIM MOB recovery sling
- 6x lifejackets
- Automatic fire extinguisher in engine space
- Fire extinguishers