Fantastic blue water specification Farr 56 Pilot House built by BSI Marine in Sweden. Just two owners since new. Custom 3-cabin interior layout and ultra-desirable factory supplied doghouse for all-weathers passage making.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Loaded to the gunwhales with absolutely everything you could wish for or need for a circumnavigation, MOONSHADOW STAR is a true 'turn-key' blue water cruiser. As the boat of choice for round-the-world sailing legend Robin Knox Johnston, the cruising credentials of the Farr 56 Pilot House need little introduction.
Commissioned by a hugely experienced British couple, and launched by BSI Marine Sweden in mid-2002, MOONSHADOW STAR was fitted out specifically for short-handed long distance liveaboard sailing in all weathers and all climates. Her original owners cruised aboard for approx. 6 months of each year, leaving the boat professionally managed wherever they were to return home to family.
Configured with the hugely desirable factory-supplied doghouse and a genuine pilot house layout with internal helm position, MOONSHADOW STAR’s specification highlights include:-
- Custom interior layout with owner’s aft stateroom, VIP stateroom forward and double guest cabin
- Internal helm position with engine control and autopilot control head
- Structural dog house to protect cockpit with bimini
- Forepeak workshop
- Kevlar hull reinforcement
- Lead wing keel
- Teak decks
- Epoxy system to underwater sections
- Lewmar Mamba steering system
- Cutter rig with hydraulic furling genoa and staysail
- Fully-battened mainsail system with 3-reefs, battencars, stackpack and lazyjacks
- Hydranet tri-radial sail package
- Trysail track on mast
- Furling Code 0
- Symmetric spinnaker with carbon spinnaker pole and sock
- Full hydraulic winch package
- 3-bladed Brunton Autoprop propeller
- 6kw Fischer Panda generator
- 800Ah 24vDC domestic battery bank
- Twin alternators
- Mastervolt Charger/Inverter system
- Isolation Transformer
- Sea Recover watermaker
- Solar panels
- Wind generator
- Eberspacher Hydronic hot water heating system with radiators and towel rails
- 24vDC ventilation fans
- SSB radio
- Fully updated Raymarine navigation suite including AIS and radar
- Marine PC with dedicated monitors, NMEA integration and chart software
- 4K LCD TV and Fusion stereo system
- Twin front opening stainless steel fridges
- Ice Maker
- Tender and outboard
Her current owners are a retired Royal Navy commander and his wife who, following a dream to circumnavigate set sail on their original yacht, arriving in New Zealand in 2019. Taking the decision to step up to a larger yacht for the second half of their trip, they sold their existing yacht and replaced her with MOONSHADOW STAR which they found for sale in New Zealand. A recent change in circumstance has led MOONSHADOW STAR being offered for sale once more, complete with recent survey (of which all notable recommendations were attended to), along with whole raft of updates/improvements carried out in recent months to make her ready for her next big adventure.
The Farr 56 Pilot House is the ideal yacht in the range for the long term cruising couple who plan to spend extended periods of time on board without the need for additional crew. It shares the light and airy pilothouse, large internal volume, cavernous deck storage, great machinery access and a palatial aft cabin, that have all become the signature of the Pilot house range.
A modern yacht has to fulfil many functions from blasting along in the tradewinds, sailing around the bay in light winds to corporate entertaining or providing a safe platform for family holidays. The Farr 56 is at home and comfortable in all of these habitats.
- Our understanding is that this vessel complies with the European Union Recreational Craft Directive and is categorised A – Offshore.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- The hull is of a single skin solid laminate in the central regions below the waterline with the remainder and topsides in a sandwich construction using a Divinycell core that is fitted using the latest vacuum techniques. Multi-axial matting is used with Vinylester resin.
- Kevlar layer in hull layup
- The hull is finished in white gelcoat with contrasting cove line and boot topping.
- Internally, the hull is top-coated throughout.
- Teak laid decking and cockpit seating/sole
- An internal bottom grid is laid up in a female mould and then laminated into the base of the hull increasing stiffness throughout the hull structure.
- The hull is formed with an integral keel stub to which the lead keel is through bolted. This also forms the separate engine and main bilge sumps.
- The main bulkheads are made of marine grade plywood with a mahogany veneer and laminated on both sides to the hull and deck.
- The chain plates are bolted to the reinforced main bulkhead. The backstay chain plate is bolted to the transom.
- The loads of all rigging and deck fittings are distributed through the hull via changes in the lay up of the affected areas.
- International Interprotect 2000E epoxy primer system
- Red antifouling – last applied July 2019
- Hull topsides professionally polished with 3M products plus two coats of wax – July 2019
Keel & Rudder:
- Solid lead fin keel with wing profile
- Balanced GRP spade rudder with 125mm 6082 aluminium rudder stock mounted on self-aligning bearings – rudder stock replaced and rudder re-shaped for perfect balance (by NZ America’s Cup foil expert) – Summer 2019
Engine & gearbox:
- Yanmar 4LHA-HTE 4-cylinder turbo-charged direct injection diesel engine producing 150hp @ 3,300rpm
- Cockpit and pilot house controls and complete alarm system
- Freshwater cooling system via raw water intake and heat exchanger
- Yanmar reduction gearbox with Aquadrive flexible coupling
- Throttle controls in cockpit and in pilot house
- Dual Racor fuel filtration system allowing independent filter and bypass system
- Fuel polishing system
- 3x engine room blowers (1x automatic and 2x manually switched)
Maintenance and Performance:
- Approx engine hours: approx 4,300 hours as of Autumn 2019
- Date of last engine service: July 2019
Propulsion & Steering:
- Lewmar 24vDC retractable bowthruster
- Brunton Autoprop 3-bladed feathering propeller
- Propspeed system professionally applied to prop – July 2019
- Stainless steel propeller shaft
- Non-drip shaft seal (re-torqued July 2019)
- Hide-covered stainless steel helm wheel connected to Lewmar Mamba rod-linkage steering system
- Emergency steering gear
- 24vDC domestic system with 12vDC starting circuits and 220vAC via shore power, generator or inverter
- 1x 12v Mastervolt engine/generator start battery – 2016
- 8x 12v Mastervolt 200Ah service batteries joined in parallel and series to supply 800Ah @ 24vDC
- Mastervolt Chargemaster 24/100-3 100Amp 24vDC automatic battery charger
- Mastervolt 2.5kw inverter
- Mastervolt Power System Control Panel at chart table
- Yanmar 12vDC 40Amp engine-mounted alternator for charging start battery
- Mastervolt 24DC 150Amp secondary high-output alternator for charging service battery banks
- Fischer Panda AGT6000 6kw 220vAC generator
- Generator hours: approx 512 hours as of Autumn 2019
- Date of last generator service – June 2019
- Dedicated Racor filter for generator
- 24vDC-12vDC voltage converters
- 220vAC shore power system
- Mastervolt isolation transformer
- 2x 120 watt solar panels on transom-mounted stainless steel gantry
- Digital MP-50 MPPT regulator for solar panels
- 400w wind generator supplying 24vDC (spare blades included)
- Trickle charge solar panel for engine start battery
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- 24vDC freshwater pump systems with visual indication lights at AC/DC panel
- Manual freshwater and saltwater pumps at galley, foot activated.
- Hot water supply via engine calorifier or 220vAC immersion heater element in 12 gallon powered by shorepower or via generator
- New immersion heater element and mixer value – July 2019
- Pressurised hot & cold water supplied to galley and heads
- Filtered water supply to galley sink
- Hot & cold pressurised water supply to transom and cockpit shower
- Sea Recovery Aqua Whisper fully-automatic 24vDC reverse osmosis watermaker producing approx. 30 gallons per hour.
- Watermaker hours – approx. 412 as of Autumn 2019
- Watermaker laid up – June 2019
- 3x 12vDC electric bilge pumps with indicators and manual overrides at chart table
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit
Grey & Black Water:
- Heads discharge outboard or to black water tanks via diverter valves
- Whale Gulper macerator pump – replaced August 2019
- Blackwater holding tanks can discharge to sea or to land via s/s deck fillers
- All showers and sinks discharge directly outboard
- 3x stainless steel fuel tanks with combined capacity of 1,507 litres
- Manifold system for fuel tank control
- Tank gauges at chart table
- 2x stainless steel water tanks with combined capacity of 848 litres
- Tank gauges at chart table
- 1x stainless steel blackwater holding tank with individual capacities of 170 litres
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Argonaut 19” IP67 repeater screen for Fugawi NMEA marine PC mounted to custom multi-position bracket
- Raymarine mast-mounted radar scanner - 2012
- 4x Raymarine ST60 multi repeaters at companionway
- Raymarine ST60 multi repeater at helm pedestal
- Raymarine speed, log, depth, temp and wind transducers (including spare wind transducer)
- Raymarine ST6000-series Smart Pilot autopilot control with remote control connected to hydraulic ram
- Steering compass
At chart table:
- Fugawi world charting marine PC with ultra-low power draw and dedicated inverter. Fully NMEAE integrated giving depth, wind, GPS and AIS.
- Viewsonic 1080p LED monitor
- Raymarine RL80C colour radar display
- Raymarine A7 touchscreen colour chart plotter / MFD display
- Raymarine p70 autopilot control head
- 3x Raymarine i70 multi-repeaters
- ICS Nav6 Navtex
- AIS Class B
- Garmin GHS 10i VHF handset at chart table
- Garmin VHF speaker in cockpit
- Icom IC-M802 MF/HF/SSB radio with speaker at chart table
- Plastimo stainless steel propane gimballed cooker with 3-burners, oven & grill
- Twin Frigoboat stainless steel front-opening 100 litre fridges with freezer compartments
- 220vAC ice maker - 2016
- Double stainless steel deep bowl sinks
- Water purification system
- Breville Barista Master bean-to-cup coffee maker – professionally installed 2019
- 24vDC Vacuflush electric freshwater marine heads
- Basins & showers with hot & cold water supply
- 24vDC pump out for showers
- Elumina 220vAC washing machine
Heating & Ventilation:
- Eberspacher Hydronic diesel-fired hot water heating system with radiators in all major cabin areas plus heated towel rails in heads.
- Hydronics unit replaced 2016 and serviced 2019
- DC fans throughout interior
- Extractor fans in heads
- Opening deckhead hatches with Oceanair blinds/insect screens
- Mosquito covers for companionway and port lights
- Dorade cowls on forward coachroof and aft deck coachroof
- Cabin lighting LED with dimmers
- Understair mood/night lighting throughout
- Samsung 4K 32” smart TV with USB/SD card inputs, professionally mounted and electrically wired. Can also stream wirelessly to Fusion sound system – July 2019
- Fusion 770 stereo system with 4x Fusion Signature speakers – July 2019
Summary of Accommodation:
- Up to seven berths in three double cabins with additional single settee berth in saloon.
- Oak interior joinery
- Non-structural woodwork build with lightweight core
- Floorboards in traditional teak and holly
- Corian countertops in galley and heads with infills for galley sink
- Corian sole in heads with teak slatted shower seat
- Blue cloth upholstery in accommodation cabins
- Blue upholstery in pilot saloon – replaced 2018
- Throw cover for wet-weather for navigation seat - 2018
- Mosquito screens for all opening hatches and ports
- Lee cloths
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
- Forepeak area with workshop bench, vice, tool stowage cupboards, and sail stowage area. Access to Bow Thruster. Lighting.
- VIP cabin forward with centreline double berth. Settee seating and double wardrobes.
- Forward heads compartment with electric vacuum flush freshwater heads and walk-in shower.
- Mid-ships double cabin opposite heads to starboard with double berth and hanging locker.
- Steps to saloon which has a large L shaped seating area to starboard with dining table.
- Navigation area to port with height adjustable swivel seating allowing internal helm position complete with throttle control, engine control panel and autopilot control head.
- Access to engine through the lifting floor which is on hydraulic rams to assist.
- Steps to the galley fitted with a cooker, two stainless steel upright fridges and ice maker. Door to machinery space and door to aft cabin. Washing machine.
- Machinery space houses generator, fuel filters, watermaker, and chargers
- Aft cabin with large Super King size central bed (2m x 1.6m), plentiful stowage, double hanging lockers to port and starboard with automatic lighting. Vanity unit to starboard with seat and desk.
- Dedicated shoe locker with space for 30 pairs of shoes
- Door to en-suite with separate walk-in shower, electric vacuum flush freshwater head and wash basin.
- Selden aluminium alloy spars – white painted
- Keel stepped mast with three sets of spreaders – replaced 2012
- Selden carbon fibre spinnaker pole – mast stowed with track
- Spinnaker crane at masthead with double blocks
- Facnor FX7500 continuous line furler for Code 0 plus Spectra torque rope (2013)
- Cutter-rigged with dyneema checkstays
- Selden stainless steel hydraulic furlers for genoa and staysail – serviced April 2019
- Stainless steel rod standing rigging – replaced 2016 and further inspected/serviced April 2019
- Navtec hydraulic backstay and vang with control in cockpit
- Hasselfors Tensionners on mast for Main, Genoa, Jib and Staysail halyards
- Trysail track on mast
- Ball-bearing battencar system with mainsail
- Clutches for spinnaker, halyards and reefs at mast
- Lewmar deck gear
- Maststeps at base of mast
- Andersen stainless steel hydraulically operated winch package
- Winches can be manually operated.
- 2x 68ST 2-speed self-tailing in cockpit
- 2x 58ST 2-speed self-tailing in cockpit
- 2x 52ST 2-speed self-tailing in cockpit
- 2x 52ST 2-speed self-tailing at base of mast
- Seimens 57 hydraulic processor serviced – 2019
- Twin hydraulic pumps for redundancy
- Sanders Sails Hydranet tri-radial fully-battened mainsail with 3 reefs – 2013
- Sanders Sails Hydranet tri-radial furling genoa – 2013
- Sanders Sails Hydranet tri-radial furling staysail – 2013
- Doyle Sails Code 0 with furler – 2013
- Sanders Sails symmetrical spinnaker (2010) with ATN spinnaker sleeve (2015)
- Doyle jib (used as spare for wing-on-wing passages)
- Manufacturer designed and constructed GRP doghouse with two opening hatches in top plus lights
- Stainless steel mast pulpits for safe operation of control lines at mast in all weathers
- Stainless steel guardrail stanchions with twin stainless steel wire guardwires
- Side boarding gates with detachable side-boarding ladder
- Stainless steel pulpit and pushpit
- Stainless steel grabrails on main superstructure coachroof
- Stainless steel folding ladder at bathing platform
- Stainless steel stern gantry for solar panels, wind generator and antennas
- Removable pivoting tender davits
- Teak seats attached to pushpit to port & starboard
- Spreader lights and boom lights
- 3x stainless steel rail-mount fishing rod holders – August 2019
- Stainless steel Magma filleting table mounting to rod holder
- LED underwater lights at stern
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Lewmar hydraulic reversing anchor windlass with deck buttons and cockpit controls
- Lewmar Delta 40kgs stainless steel primary anchor with 100m stainless steel chain (chain acid cleaned and polished 2019)
- Twin Bruce stern anchors with stainless steel chain and warp
- Pressurised saltwater anchor/deck wash
- Fenders and warps
Tender & Outboard:
- Apex Ultralight 11ft Hypalon dinghy – 2014
- Tohastu 5hp 2-stroke outboard engine – 2014 (low hours and ‘as new’)
Covers & Canvas:
- Ullman Sails stackpack for mainsail with lazyjacks – 2013
- Bimini with stainless steel frame
- Rear awning attaching to doghouse
- Helm pedestal cover
- Covers for dorade vents
- Dinghy cover
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
- Zodiac Open Sea MP-6 6-man cannister liferaft stowed in stainless steel cradle at pushpit – next service due 2023
- Horseshoe buoy with light
- Throw line with man-overboard recovery strop
- 2x Sea Me lights
- ACR strobe light
- Offshore flare package
- 406Mhz EPIRB – next service due 2023
- Horn system mounted to first spreader with control in cockpit
- Rig cutting bolt croppers
- Automatic fire detection system in engine room
- Fire extinguishers in all compartments
- Fire blanket at galley