The goal in developing the Farr/Mumm 30 was to create a state-of-the-art offshore one-design that would be fast and exciting, yet uncomplicated and economical. The design brief required simplicity, high performance, cost effectiveness, and ease of sailing. The result was an extremely popular boat and the most successful 30 foot one design yacht of her time. With its non overlapping jibs, generous sail plan, carbon swept spreader rig without runners and high stability bulb keel this boat is a joy to sail upwind and delivers blistering reaching and running speeds under its conventional masthead spinnaker. This Farr 30 will provide affordable and exhilarating racing or just plain sailing at its best. See full listing to include: seller summary and list of recent upgrades and refit comments.
Meer specificaties, uitrusting en informatie:
Naam van boot
Kiel: Fin kiel
Lengte over alles: 30 ft 9 in
Breedte: 10 ft 1 in
Lengte over water: 27 ft 6 in
Maximum diepgang: 6 ft 9 in
Waterverplaatsing: 4561 lbs
Ballast: 1997 lbs
Totaal vermogen: 10 HP
Merk motor: Yanmar
Type motor: 1GM10C
Type motor: Binnenboord
Schroef: Klap schroef
Type aandrijving: Saildrive
Motorvermogen: 10 HP
Aantal brandstoftanks: 1
Aantal enkele bedden: 2
Aantal toiletten: 1
Race-Ready, McDell (Auckland NZ) built fresh water Farr 30 available for sale due to impending arrival of a second child. Major refit, including brand new paint job on hull completed in 2019 as this boat was being built-up to compete in both Mackinac races . Always stored in heated storage, constantly upgraded and sailed exclusively in fresh water since purchase in 2012.
Large inventory of sails of varying quality included with the boat and including two spinnaker poles.
This boat is also perfectly setup for anyone investigating the switch to a bowsprit setup.
I can say without hesitation the Farr 30 is the best boat I have ever sailed and I am quite sad to see her go. Along with being dominate in light air, the boat is capable of sailing in any type of condition either in-shore or off. Montuno provides a adrenaline-filled ride downwind in a breeze with polars extending quickly above 17kts.
Upgrade List 2012-2019
- Soft spots in deck removed and re-cored (2012)
- New sail drive (2013)
- New rudder bearings (2014)
- New fuel tank (2015)
- Major refit completed 2018/2019 including: removal of all hull side gelcoat and new paint job- grey, carbon stanchion beds, reinforcement of deck/hull joint, black powder coated stanchions.
- Running rigging replaced 2018-2019
- Spare carbon spinnaker pole included
During design conferences, Farr applied a simple test for complex issues, "will this detail or feature make the boat more fun to sail?" Time and again they found that the simplest solution was the best one. For example, there are no running backstays. The extra crewman needed for runners, and the chance of losing the rig if the runners aren't set up properly, are eliminated. The boat has a very high righting moment because high stability means speed upwind, and a boat that is easier to get in the groove. In order to achieve stability with a minimum amount of weight and drag, Farr developed a keel that is reminiscent of their Whitbread 60 designs. A large lead bulb is supported by a cast steel fin which produces a reliable, durable structure with maximum righting moment. The non-overlapping head sails mean that the winches are tiny, and dexterity takes precedence over power: smaller crew, and smaller sail budgets!
The rig is simple to use, but it is state-of-the-art carbon fiber laminate, tested and refined to suit the boat perfectly. The hull is vacuum bagged, wet pre-preg epoxy and post cured in an oven. The rudder stock is autoclaved carbon fiber: strong, light, and virtually maintenance free. Complex technology is employed intelligently to yield simplicity.
The Farr 30 has amazed competitors on the race course with its speed in all conditions, but the real test is when sailors actually take the helm. The boat has a large rudder which provides balance and superb control both upwind and down. It accelerates like a dinghy, but feels like a big boat going upwind in a breeze. The cockpit is a marvel of comfort and efficiency from the innovative folding foot racks, to the internal sail controls. Everything is easily at hand, functional and smooth. This sailing machine is somewhat easy for less experienced crews to handle, and will never stop rewarding the most experienced sailor.
- E-Glass, PVC foam core and epoxy composite, wet pre-preg, post cured.
- Hull is foam core, deck balsa core, both wet pre-preg epoxy.
- Hull believed to be without defect.
- Hull and deck Awlgrip painted - hull excellent , deck fair.
- Bottom, rudder and keel faired and finished when new, Interprotect primer faired, VC-17 paint.
- 12 Volt DC distribution panel
- Circuit breakers of appropriate amperage
- Main battery switch
- Batteries are serviceable
- Navigation lights, USCG approved
- 1 Interior dome lights
- Autotiller (missing mounting bracket)
- Depth Finder
- Velocitek Pro Start
- Apelco VHF radio
Plumbing, Stove & Interior
- Galley sink with manual pump and overboard drain
- Dry storage compartment starboard
- 2 Manual bige pumps - 1 topside, 1 below
- Self contained Portta-Pottie head
- C.M.T. 1 burner butane stove
- 2 Settee berths
- Lewmar 40, 2 speed primary winches
- Lewmar 30/2 AST self-tailing utility/halyard winches
- 2 Winch handles and cockpit winch handle pockets
- Deck hardware by Lewmar/Ronstan/Harken
- Forward opening hatch
- 2 opening ports in cockpit
- Pulpits - bow and stern custom stainless steel and powder coated black
- Lifelines - upper and lower
- Cozy Covers for hiking
- Stanchions - 2 tapered and 4 tapered with inboard braces
- Rope clutches for halyards
- Jib tracks - adjustable port and starboard
- Mainsheet traveler system
- Mainsheet 4:1 coarse and 16:1 fine tune
- Sheet bags black
- Raptor Foam Decking installed 2014/2015 may want to replace
- Autoclave carbon rudder stock with epoxy/S - glass blade
- Upper and lower rudder bearings
- Edson custom tiller
- Spinlock extendable tiller handle / hiking stick
Spar and Rigging
- Carbon fractional rig with two sets of carbon swept back spreaders
- Aluminum extruded boom
- Outhaul and cunningham lead aft to pit
- Rigid boom vang - 16:1 line lead aft port and starboard
- (2) Carbon spinnaker poles
- Standing rigging - discontinuous rod - 1x19 d-1's
- Kevlar or Dyneema permanent backstay adjuster 24:1
- Back stay flicker system (new 2019)
- Sellers Note: Standing rigging is original with no known problems. Back stay (rope) has been replaced in 2019. Jib luff foil is good Harken (black). Mast, boom, carbon spinnaker pole, rudder, tiller, winches, deck hardware, rails and lifelines are in good condition without significant defect.
- Running rigging is complete and includes main halyard, jib/spin halyard, topping lift, mainsheet, main outhall, cunningham, traveler control, genoa sheets, spin sheets (both symmetrical and asymmetrical) and foreguys.
- 7 Spinnakers (inc. 1 asymmetrical and 1 fractional symmetrical)
- 3 Mainsails ( High-level racing, club racing (Dacron) and delivery)
- 7+ Jibs
- Dual Triad axle trailer with custom fit bunks, storage box, and spare tire
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
*This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.