A well presented and well maintained example of this rare 36’ J/Boats performance cruiser. Upgraded at the time of her build from the basic specifications she is ideally suited to family cruising and club racing.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
With only 16 examples built the J110 is a rare find. At 36’ she boasts many of the iconic J/boats features normally found on her larger sisters and was designed with the same attention to detail. True to the brand the J110 offers excellent performance undersail and with the asymmetric spinnaker is capable of speeds in excess of 10 knots off the wind.
Commissioned by her original owners to be used as a performance cruiser capable of racing at club level or in local regattas BLUEBIRD was upgraded internally to make life aboard more comfortable. These upgrades included:
- Additional built in lockers and hardwood hull lining outboard of saloon settees
- Full sculpted backrest cushions for saloon settees.
- Alcantra upholstery.
Benefiting from continual maintenance and upgrading throughout the current ownership her inventory highlights include:
- Mainsail and Roller reefing genoa, DCX Double Taffeta/Polyester laminate. (2018)
- Large sail wardrobe of older sails
- New diesel cabin heater fitted 2019
- Both batteries replaced since 2017
- Jabsco manual marine toilet
- Force 10 galley stove
A comfortable and quick cruising yacht BLUEBIRD has the potential to be a very club passage racer, ideally suited to a family looking for a boat to satisfy multiple roles.
J/110's performance is a function of low vertical center of gravity (VCG), a narrow waterline, draft and a higher sail area to displacement ratio. A key contributor to lowering weight in the design is high-tech Baltek laminate construction with 65-70% glass content from TPI's patented SCRIMP resin-infusion process. And, owners can go one step further to lowering VCG with an optional Hall Spars carbon-fiber mast. The 100 lbs. saved up high is the equivalent of having two 180 lb. crew hiking out on the rail when sailing to windward. Reaching at 8+ knots becomes almost a daily occurrence on a J/110 with the J/Sprit and asymmetrical spinnakers.
The J/110's cockpit is ideal for cruising because one person can sail the boat with mainsheet, genoa and backstay adjuster all within reach. And, the helmsman can comfortably lean out against the lifelines, holding the wheel to steer while seeing the headsail.
The dodger completely covers the companionway and forward seats of the cockpit. With dodger side-curtains in place and an autopilot remote control, this is a great location for an "inside" piloting station or going on deck to join the skipper for a cup of coffee, without having to suit up.
When you go offshore in a seaway or spend several days living aboard, you will appreciate the J/110's interior design. It's light and open. The impression is clean and functional. The eye can see the shape of the hull from below, like a classic canoe. Yet, looking outside from below, the view is over the deck through large ports. It's as though one didn't go below-decks at all.
The sense of spaciousness is created by J/110's classic American cruising yacht decor: "Antique white" panels beautifully trimmed in cold-molded teak.
Conceived in the garage of Rod Johnston the J24 design started the J-Boat company. With a $20,000 investment by his brother Bob J-Boats came into being in 1977. Since that time the company has sold more than 5000 of J24 design along side another 7000 other J-boats ranging from the J22 to J65.
While not producing boats in massive volumes like other builders J-Boats have dominated the popular racer cruiser market. Producing designs that perform well on the race course while being comfortable and easy enough for a family to cruise or day sail.
Since 1988 the younger generation of Johnston’s have been at the helm of the company with a total of six sons of the founders now sitting on the company board.
- Built and placed in use in the UK prior to 1998 we understand the J110 is exempt from the RCD regulations.
- Single piece, hand consolidated GRP moulding.
- Sandwich type construction
- Baltek balsa core.
- Topsides finished in original blue gelcoat
- Below waterline hull stripped back to gelcoat in 2014, two coats of International Paints Primocon underwater primer applied.
- Hull underwater surfaces finished in navy International Paints Micron antifouling, applied spring 2019.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Single piece moulding incorporating coachroof and cockpit.
- Hand consolidated GRP moulding.
- Sandwich type construction.
- Baltek balsa core.
- Moulding finished in white gelcoat with contrasting pale grey non-slip panels.
Keel & Rudder:
- Bolt on lead keel.
- Deep fin profile.
- Spade rudder with composite rudder stock.
Engine & gearbox:
- Yanmar 3GM30F Marine diesel engine.
- 27hp @ 3600RPM.
- 3 Cylinder, naturally aspirated, indirectly cooled.
- Kanzaki mechanical reversing marine geabox.
- Bowden single lever morse control.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine fully serviced June 2019.
- Cruising speed 6kts
Propulsion & Steering:
- Stainless steel propeller shaft.
- MaxProp 3 blade, bronze feathering propeller. Overhauled by Darglow Eng. 2017.
- Upgraded Darglow/MaxProp anode system fitted.
- Edson chain/cable steering system.
- Edson alloy quadrant.
- Steering system overhauled and cable clamps changed to stainless steel items 2019.
- Raymarine ST6002
- Raymarine Type 1 Linear drive unit, direct drive to quadrant.
- 12VDC onboard power system
- 240VAC shore power system
- Single 16amp connection
- Hardwired with RCD protected consumer unit.
- Shore power connection cable.
- Engine Battery – 1x 100Ah lead-acid. (2019)
- Domestic Battery – 1x 270Ah lead-acid. (2017)
- Sterling Power Products Pro-Charge U (2015)
- Waeco PureSine 2000w (2015)
- Remote control panel.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- Pressurised hot and cold water system.
- Mono mixer tap in galley, extends to act as shower head. (2017)
- Manually pumped faucet in galley.
- Mono mixer tap in head, extends to act as shower head. (2017)
- Manually pumped faucet in heads.
- New pressure pump fitted 2018
- Waste water from galley sink and heads basin draining overboard by gravity.
- Shower tray waste water pumped overboard. New pump fitted 2017.
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
- Manual bilge pump in heads compartment.
- Rule 1100 electric bilge pump with manual/auto switching. (2017)
- Bilge water level sensor switch replaced 2018.
- Self-draining gas bottled storage locker
- Storage for 2x 4kg gas bottles within locker.
- Single stainless steel tank.
- 65 litre (17 Gallon) capacity.
- Twin plastic tanks.
- Tanks located under port and starboard saloon settees.
- 227 litre (60 Gallon) capacity.
- Insulated tank.
- Heated from engine or 240VAC immersion heater.
- Analogue gauge for fuel tank only.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Depth - Raymarine ST80 system with Master View configurable display.
- Log - Raymarine ST80 system with Master View configurable display.
- Wind – Raymarine I60 system (2016)
- Plotter/Radar – Raymarine C80 Classic MFD
- Radar Scanner – Raymarine 2kw radome scanner, mounted on ScanStrut gimballed backstay mount.
- GPS – Raymarine Raystar 130 Active GPS antenna.
- Icom IC-M601 DSC VHF – mounted at chart table.
- Icom CommandMic (2016)
- Masthead VHF antenna and mast cable replaced 2016
- Navtex - McMurdo ICS Nav6
- Force 10 galley stove. 2 burner, grill and oven, gimbal mounted. (2015)
- Built-in top loading fridge with Isotherm ASU holding plate. New controller fitted (2019)
- Double stainless steel sinks.
- Mono tap mixer faucet.
- Manually pumped FW faucet.
- Jabsco manual marine toilet, discharging overboard. (2015)
- Wash hand basin
- Mono tap mixer faucet/shower head. (2017)
- Manually pumped fresh water faucet.
Heating & Ventilation:
- Planar diesel fired 4Kw blown air heater. (2019)
- Outlets in forward cabin, saloon, aft cabin and pilot bunk.
- Thermostatic cabin controller.
- 1 large opening deck hatch forward.
- 6 opening portholes.
- Overhead lighting throughout interior.
- Reading lights above bunks.
- Majority of lighting converted to LED bulbs.
- Red lighting below decks for night sailing.
- Stereo head unit. FM/USB/SD/AUX inputs
- Speakers in saloon and cockpit.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Two double cabins
- Two occasional berths in saloon.
- Double pilot berth conversion to port side cockpit locker.
- Single heads with en-suite access from forward cabin.
- Joinery work of teak finished in satin varnish.
- Alcantara upholstery throughout with certified fire-resistant foam.
- Moulded headlining.
- Teak and holly soleboards finished in a stain type varnish.
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
- Two single berths in traditional V-berth layout.
- Infill section to create double.
- Dresser unit with drawers beneath aft of bunk to starboard.
- Hanging locker aft to starboard.
- Bin type lockers beneath bunks.
- Retractable bow sprit operating above bunk to starboard.
- En-suite access to heads.
- Large opening deck hatch for light and ventilation.
- Manual marine toilet outboard.
- Moulded worktop and wash hand basin unit forward.
- Vanity storage unit above toilet outboard.
- Louver doored storage locker beneath basin.
- Alcantara upholstery with sculpted backrest cushions wrapping around corners.
- Bench settee to starboard.
- L-shaped settee to port.
- Both settees converting to single berths with lee-cloths.
- Centrally mounted, stainless steel framed, double drop leaf table.
- Louver doored storage lockers outboard of settees forward and aft.
- Fiddled bookshelves outboard of settees between lockers.
- Cabe type lockers behind settee backrests, port and starboard.
- Storage locker space beneath aft end of starboard saloon settee.
- Access to heads via port side of saloon forward.
- Located at aft end of saloon to starboard.
- Aft facing chart table.
- Navigator using aft end of starboard settee as a seat.
- Chart storage within table.
- Ships switch panel and VHF located outboard.
- Bosuns drawer and locker beneath aft end of table.
- L-shaped galley to port of companionway.
- Laminate finished worktops with varnished teak fiddles.
- Double stainless steel sink forward.
- Top-loading below worktop fridge with hinged double folding lid outboard.
- Force 10 galley stove mounted on gimbals aft.
- Selection of storage lockers above worktops outboard.
- Louver doored locker beneath sinks forward.
- Bi-fold door to starboard of companionway.
- Double bunk aft, extending under cockpit sole inboard.
- Single seat forward outboard.
- Single opening porthole.
- Accessible through half height door at aft end of galley or via cockpit locker hatch to port.
- Conversion of large cockpit locker with bunk base built in at half height.
- Large double bunk.
- Locker storage beneath bunk base.
- Hall Spars engineered rig.
- Keel stepped, double spreader, 9/10ths fractional sloop rig.
- Alloy mast and spars finished in white two pack paint.
- Discontinuous standing rigging of stainless steel rod construction.
- Selden alloy chafe-tubes fitted over bottle screws.
- Running backstays permanently rigged port and starboard.
- Harken roller reefing system on forestay.
- Navtec hydraulic backstay tensioner. Serviced 2016
- Hall Spars gas sprung rod kicker.
- Retractable bow sprit for asymmetric spinnaker.
- Lazyjacks fitted to stackpack.
- Primary Winches – 2x Lewmar 48, self-tailing, two-speed.
- Secondary Winches – 2x Lewmar 30, self-tailing, two-speed.
- Cockpit Halyard Winchers – 2x Lewmar 40, self-tailing, two-speed.
- Mainsail – DCX Double Taffeta/Polyester laminate, partially battened, slab reefing. Owen Sails 2018.
- Genoa - DCX Double Taffeta/Polyester laminate, roller reefing. Owen Sails 2018.
- Genoa #1 – Dacron performance cut sail. Luff tape to run on twin luff groove foils, not roller furling. Saturn Sails (1997)
- Genoa #2 – Dacron performance cut sail. Luff tape to run on twin luff groove foils, not roller furling. Saturn Sails (1997)
- Genoa #3 – Dacron performance cut sail. Luff tape to run on twin luff groove foils, not roller furling. Saturn Sails (1997)
- Genoa #4 – Dacron performance cut sail. Luff tape to run on twin luff groove foils, not roller furling. Saturn Sails (1997)
- Mainsail – Mylor laminate sail. Partially battened, slab reefing, Saturn Sails. (1997).
- Genoa – Roller Reefing. Saturn Sails.
- Spinnaker - Reaching Asymmetric (1997)
- Spinnaker - Downwind/Running Asymmetric (1997)
- Snuffer – can be used with either of the Asymmetric spinnakers.
- Tri-sail – Dacron, never used.
- Single stemhead roller.
- Stainless steel pulpit and pushpit rails.
- Stainless steel stanchions mounted on deck supporting double stainless steel guardwires.
- Guardwire gate on starboard side.
- Access gate to transom.
- Alloy mooring cleats forward and aft.
- Stainless steel grabrails running along coachroof edge from mast aft to cockpit.
- Schaefer pinstop type genoa tracks and cars.
- Lewmar rope clutches port and starboard sides of companionway.
- Harken mainsheet track and car system.
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Bower Anchor – Stainless steel Bruce anchor on 20m chain / 40m warp rode.
- Kedge Anchor – Fortress alloy anchor on 30m chain / 30m warp rode.
- Manual Anchor Windlass – Simpson Lawrence low-profile type.
- Mooring Warps – Selection
- Fenders – Selection
- Sprayhood – Mounted on stainless steel tube frame. New window material fitted 2018.
- Cockpit Tent – Rigging on flexible hoop aft, securing the lower guard wires, open aft.
- Mainsail Cover – Stackpack type cover with mast boot and lazy jacks. Services by sail maker 2018.
- Pedestal Cover
- Spray Dodgers
- Winter Cover – Custom made fitted cover, fits from mast aft to cover cockpit and companionway.
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
- LED Masthead tri-colour
- LED Masthead anchor light
- LED Running lights.
- LED Deck flood light, mounted on mast.
- Liferaft – 6 person SOLAS cannister raft, with hydrostatic release. Next service due 2021
- Horseshoe Buoy – x2 (1 with light and drogue).
- Danbuoy – with light