AMANDA is a classic wooden motor yacht homeported in Piraeus, Greece. Built in 1956 in the U.K., she was refitted in 2017 to her original layout. Further refit work was performed in 2018. AMANDA is a shining example of a lovingly restored traditional craft.
A 24-meter (78 foot) cruiser powered by two diesel Rolls Royce engines capable of 10-12miles/hour, she accommodates up to 12 people in five cabins.
AMANDA, with excellent displacement and a narrow beam, performs smoothly even in large seas. The interior design is comfortable yet not overly formal; there’s a small lounge off the guest cabins and the overall area below the main deck is private and beautifully maintained. The cabins and heads are attractive and comfortable. The aft deck space is roomy and leaves plenty of area for guests to move around. A special feature is the forward dining area with bar and lounge. This special accommodation – the lounge area -- is where AMANDA’s guests love to congregate. There’s plenty of room for large groups.
From the owner's article in the March 2019 issue of the Classic Yacht Association Newsletter:
"For 30 years I have been feeling alone in my marina without a “classic” friend nearby. All yachts in my area seem to be of modern design! But now I’m no more alone
because I found a family in America! I’m proud to be a member of the Classic Yacht Association and to feel very near to its members as well as share our love for classic
yachts. Yachting can be defined as the poetry of the sea. And yet beyond the beauty of the classic yachts exists another beauty: Classic Greece. She is full of islands and crystal blue waters under a thousand shades of the Aegean Sea. From sunrise to
sunset, the landscape changes minute to minute. This combination of feelings, scents, views, colours and sounds produces a unique experience of sailing and an
unforgettable vacation. For over 30 years I have been sailing with Amanda in
the Greek islands, discovering and enjoying inch by inch the Cyclades, the Ionian Sea, the Saronic Gulf and the Sporades islands, to name a few. Amanda was designed by the naval architect. R.M. Martins and built in UK at the shipyard of GRAHAM BUNN
NORFOLK in 1956. At some point the company name changed to Windboats Marine, which is still in business today building ocean going yachts and powerboats
(Gunfleet and Hardy, and, until a few years ago, they also built Oysters).
At that time named YVANCHA she was the longest (24m) built yacht ever. She was constructed from wood with a teak deck, using similar building methods as the historical vessels of Fairmile Type. She has a broadly similar hull shape to the Fairmile Type B.
Construction is of double diagonal moulded construction with timber planking laid
diagonally with calico between the skins and nailed through with copper boat nails and
roves. She was refitted in 2017-2018 on her original layout and is now powered by 2
Rolls Royce diesel engines performing excellently without noise. She sleeps up to 12
passengers in 5 cabins. - LP
AMANDA Refit Works Completed 2017-2017
- Lifted out oil tanks and engines. Tanks new galvanized at the exact size as the previous ones. Engines overhauled BY replacing ALL movable parts with genuine RR spare parts imported from UK. Upon completion engines were tested with full success which means smooth running at least for the next 20 years. Both engines repainted.
- Oil pump-fuel pump-blowers- water pumps-gear box etc. auxiliaries full overhauled
- Since the engine room was empty we inspected all the wood understructure, correcting some soft small wooden pieces and painted the entire room with suitable materials.
- A new boiler for hot water replaced the old one.
- A/C installation using top quality Webasto equipment without noise .
- We completely rebuild all the 3 bathrooms and the galley in luxury/traditional style by using top quality materials like, marble +porcelain +bronze+ glass+ melamine + traditional framed mirrors+ Plexiglas frames around pockets.
- ALL cupboards wooden façade were factory varnished in oven.
- We changed all toilets bows by new ones -electrical, fabricating wooden caps instead of the plastic ones .
- New showers with marble floors instead of the usual plastic.
- All batteries bronze traditional style.
- Into the galley entirely new cupboards with hard Granite top bench +white marble sink.
- New gas oven and new refrigerator BOSH 1,80X0.60X0.60 meters.
- In all windows (11 pieces in each site) stripped out the existing nickel plating and we discovered the real precious bronze original material. Sent all of them to a factory with hot bathrooms for shiny bronze polishing.
- Replaced all the old seals around the windows with new ones for water tide sealing.
- Replaced the entire old piping network for clean and dirt water by completely new network.
- New teak deck original, from Burma.
- Complete painting works in and out