Terrapin is an extraordinary Nordhavn 55 that has provided a safe and comfortable platform for the current owners to enjoy long range cruising. The current owners are experienced boaters (they circumnavigated on a Mason sailboat in the 80’s and 90s). When they were shopping for a proper trawler they settled on the Nordhavn 55 as the ideal vessel, and were convinced once they got aboard and saw the unique white laminate bulkheads with teak trim that highlight the living areas in the master and guest staterooms and heads. Terrapin was painted in Port Townsend, WA shortly after purchase and has now actively travelled thousands of miles offshore starting in Washington, heading up to Canada and then down the US west coast with several stops before transiting the Panama Canal and crossing the Caribbean.
Terrapin features the popular three cabin layout (master, guest and captain) with three heads and a spacious saloon/galley area and outstanding pilothouse with flybridge above. For offshore cruising, she has the durable Deere main (dry stack exhaust) and for close quarter maneuvering she has bow and stern thrusters. Terrapin can travel for long distance passages and handle close quarter maneuvering with equal ease of handling.
The interior on Terrapin is light and airy due to the white laminate panels in the staterooms (the same white with teak trim that is standard on every 55 and 60 utility room. The varnished teak is a nice compliment and the cabins feel much larger due to this nice improvement that was installed when she was ordered new. The interior shows like new, the sellers are very meticulous in their care.
With over (50) Nordhavn 55’s launched, PAE retired this model to concentrate on the 60 and 63 (made from the same hull molds) so Terrapin represents an outstanding opportunity to buy an extremely well outfitted trawler with an asking price hundreds of thousands of dollars below the starting base price for a new build…and in addition to a huge savings, you don’t have to wait - you can take off immediately!
She will eventually be re-located to Stuart, FL where she will be poised for a cruise north to Maine, or a venture south to the islands. Think of the possibilities, a proven Nordhavn 55 with extensive upgrades, cruise ready and tugging at her dock lines to move again. All you need to add is diesel, provisions and your sense of adventure!
The popularity of this magnificent cruising trawler is as impressive as Terrapin is to behold in person. The Nordhavn 55 design has already accomplished numerous Atlantic and Pacific crossings (sister ships) and there are Nordhavn 55’s literally spread all over the world. The Nordhavn 55 model is an ideal platform for adventurous cruisers who seek the ultimate in an owner/operator long distance passage maker.
Jeff Merrill, CPYB (Certified Professional Yacht Broker) and Ray Danet, have extensive product knowledge of the trawler market and has intimate knowledge of the Nordhavn 55 in general and Terrapin specifically. Please contact listing brokers, Jeff Merrill, CPYB or Ray Danet for additional information or to schedule a viewing appointment to inspect Terrapin.
Brokers, this listing is available for co-brokerage at 50/50. Courtesy showings are available by appointment after signed co-op. Subject to appropriate licensing (CA/FL) where required.
Mobile phone: +1 772.215.9616
Jeff Merrill, CPYB
Mobile phone: +1 949.355.4950 – call or text
Toll Free: 866.748.5419
The Nordhavn 55 design is a very large yacht. Measuring nearly 62’ overall she is a robust yacht with a lot of headroom and a large freeboard balanced by appropriate ballast to keep her on an even keel while feet underway. Her systems engineering benefits from the hundreds of ocean crossing Nordhavns who preceded her. There is something to say about the advantages of buying a proven trawler that has already been out exploring - it provides confidence and peace of mind.
You can board the Nordhavn 55 from the extended swim platform which leads to a centered cockpit door or from her covered starboard side deck. When you enter the saloon you will be impressed by the amount of space and luxurious appointments. The teak joinery is rich to behold and the soles are teak and spruce. You will appreciate her leisure comforts and upon close inspection see that the built in 40” flat screen television is installed to port in the saloon. This large saloon is great for relaxing and dining seated on comfortable cushions wrapped with ultra leather. There are two custom and comfortable chairs to starboard that add a warm, homey feel. The saloon features a large teak dinette table with starburst pattern and high gloss varnish surface to port with L-shaped settee (abundant storage beneath the seating). Indirect rope lighting concealed in the valances provides great ambient light.
The saloon transitions into an elegant galley that is a barely noticeable two steps down and features all of the essential galley appliances. There is excellent ventilation in the galley provided by an opening port light outboard. There are plenty of overhead and under counter lockers and drawers for storing everything you need in a proper seagoing galley. This is a working galley where two people can share the counter space and the teak and spruce floor along with lockers and drawers provides essential storage for the necessary provisioning and galley gear.
At the forward end of the saloon you ascend a flight of steps to arrive in the wheelhouse, or you can open a cabin door that leads to the master stateroom. Also off the galley is a stairway down that leads to the engine room via the utility room (which boasts a top load freezer and separate front loading clothes washer and clothes dryer).
Entering the master by continuing forward from the galley makes for a single level layout that is one of the most appealing features of the 55 design (with both of the master stateroom doors open you have all of the living spaces essentially on one level). For privacy, the galley to master door can be closed and then other crew aboard would go up and down through the pilothouse stairs to reach the forward guest cabin. The island berth in the Master runs athwartship providing plenty of walking space, bed stand counters on both sides as well as two hanging lockers. There is an upholstered soft headboard. The large flat screen television on the starboard inboard bulkhead perpendicular to the bed. There are opening port lights outboard to port and the master stateroom, like the rest of the living spaces, is comfortably air-conditioned. A special opening hatch forward ducts to the Portuguese bridge walk way providing natural light and creating a protected air flow…a huge plus at anchor.
The master has an ensuite head to starboard, which includes a tub / shower outboard and forward. This head is ideal for the owners to refresh themselves. There are mirrors, drawers, a medicine locker and plenty of room for his and hers toiletries.
The Nordhavn 55 wheelhouse is huge and the view is spectacular. There is an expansive navigation console with overhead panels and below window dash panels logically outfitted with all of the necessary control panels needed to operate Terrapin. The Stidd helm chair is the best perch for running this vessel underway. The windows and outboard Dutch Doors are all Diamond Sea/Glaze commercial strength. A large L-shaped bench seat fronted by a teak table makes this location the perfect place for “back seat” drivers and ideal for catching a bite to eat while enjoying the incredible panoramic view.
The helm dash features a large vertical 30” teak destroyer steering wheel. The main engine, wing engine and generator control panels are positioned for straight forward monitoring as are all of the other key systems display heads. There is a practical electric island that extends aft from the starboard side of the dash area and houses all of the DC and AC breakers plus the air conditioning select breakers and more. All of the ships electrical distribution panels are hinged for access to wiring.
Terrapin is maneuvered with the convenient installation of two outside docking stations -one on the Portuguese bridge starboard side and the other in the cockpit. These stations include the main engine shift and rpm, plus joy sticks for the bow and stern thrusters. There is an extensive collection of navigational electronics selected to include all necessities for long range coastal cruising and ocean passages.
All the way aft along the port side of the wheelhouse is an isolated captain’s cabin, ideally situated as a third stateroom that includes a wide double bed and storage. This cabin is situated conveniently near the action while at the same time secluded in privacy. There are also blinds on the windows.
Pilothouse Day Head:
Aft to starboard is one of the best features of the 55, a pilothouse head with toilet and sink for use by the captain and/or on watch crew. It also serves as a convenient day head due to its’ close proximity to the saloon.
Fronting the pilothouse is a Portuguese bridge deck from which you can go up and aft to port to reach the boat deck and flybridge, or out to starboard for a quick forward turn to the foredeck or face aft to walk along the covered side deck on your way back to the cockpit.
The wheelhouse has a nicely curved staircase forward that leads to the master and guest staterooms. This stairwell is beautifully varnished cherry with a stainless steel handrail. The stairwell includes lockers outboard to starboard.
All the way forward in the boat is a cleverly designed cabin with a centerline bulkhead that separates a double bed to port from an office desk and swivel chair to starboard. There are two doors forward to the head and shower. The stateroom has a centerline divider which includes a double sliding door for sleeping privacy to port and also boasts a swinging portion forward that, when pivoted forward to starboard, converts this entire area into one large suite. The bed to port will sleep two and there is a flat screen television mounted on the forward bulkhead.
The forward head has an overhead hatch and two cabin doors. A granite counter with sink and a large medicine cabinet is located to starboard. A good sized shower and bi-fold door and a Tecma freshwater toilet are separated by a nice tile floor.
Beneath the guest stateroom is huge equipment and storage cellar, a “hidden” area that is accessed by a hinged floor hatch. You descend a sturdy ladder to find the bow thruster forward and all of the ship’s fresh water components including water heater, two fresh water pumps (24V and 110V), water maker and an extensive fresh water manifold system. This is a great storage area divided into four chambers. The forward bow chamber is the location for the bow thruster. Chamber two includes custom shelves for storing small containers and spares. The third/entrance chamber has conveniently positioned breakers for the windlass plus storage shelves. On Terrapin, this port outboard area has a proper work bench installed! The Village Marine water maker (1,200 gallons per day) is also installed here.
Descending the curved stairway from the galley you arrive in the utility room. This is a forward antechamber for the engine room and includes a top load freezer and separate front-loading Bosch Axxis clothes washer and front-loading Bosch Axxis clothes dryer outboard on each side.
The engine room is fronted by a thick gasketed Diamond Sea Glaze door with inspection window. The large John Deere main engine is on centerline. Immediately to starboard upon entry is the gravity fed supply tank which receives fuel from the four main fuel tanks and distributes to the main engine and the generator (note: the wing engine has its own supply tank). On the starboard fuel tank bulkhead the plumbing manifolds for fuel return and fuel transfer are neatly arranged. There is also an oil change system installed. The engine room also includes a Sea Fire fire suppression system. There is a proprietary dual inlet seachest located on centerline beneath the main engine shaft which provides cooling water for the wing engine, generator, air conditioning, etc. Aft on the starboard side is the Lugger wing engine and day tank.
Aft to port is the Northern Lights 20kW generator. The floor panels are designed with removable lids in key areas for access to service and inspection. All the way aft is a door to the lazarette which is a great feature since it provides underway access to the steering, inverter and batteries without having to go on deck. The spaciousness in the engine room for getting around and observing provides the crew with areas to stand and/or sit making this vital area of the boat easy to inspect, service and maintain.
Located beneath the aft deck cockpit, the lazarette is accessed via a massive fiberglass deck hatch (or through the door from the engine room). The dual hydraulic steering is located aft and there is also an emergency tiller mounted. There are several through hulls – all easy to get to. Xantrex SW series inverter/battery charger, Mastervolt charger, Lifeline batteries, stern thruster, air conditioning and davit control motor are all neatly installed for secure operation. This important space is protected by a built in Sea Fire system. This lazarette is a working space that is easy to get around in for routine maintenance and inspection.
Terrapin was ordered with the optional swim platform extension that makes for a great deck space behind the cockpit which doubles as a nice dock for arriving by dinghy. This is a great place to jump in for a swim and a convenient way to board the boat via dock from either side. The swim step platform also features a hot/cold freshwater shower for convenient washing off.
COCKPIT and STARBOARD SIDE DECK:
The cockpit allows an area for relaxing and also incorporates a nice curved stairway up to the boat deck. Forward there is a fiberglass console with a sink and locker. Access to the lazarette is provided by a huge hatch and you can also walk forward on the covered starboard side deck all the way to the foredeck. There is a boarding door aft and also one amidships on the starboard side for easy dock traffic mobility.
The Foredeck is entered from the centerline of the Portuguese bridge via a hinged door. You have shore power connections up forward and an assortment of deck hatches which provide natural airflow into the forward stateroom and head. There is a fresh water hose bib in the foredeck entry way door steps.. The ground tackle arrangement allows for two anchors and includes an electric windlass and a cavernous chain locker secured by a commercial grade Freeman hatch.
The boat deck, where the tender is stored, is accessed by ascending the stairway from the cockpit or by coming aft along the port side from the pilothouse. This large deck is directly over the saloon and provides a huge landing pad for the ships tender. There is an Aritex crane installed to port for launching and retrieving the 13’ Walker Bay inflatable with 50HP Yamaha outboard.
Clearly a highlight of the 55 is the view from the flybridge, this is a wonderful place to operate the yacht and also a great place to relax and enjoy your anchorage. There are two tastefully re-upholstered helm chairs forward of a fiberglass lunch table with built in bench. All necessary navigation gear is installed for simplicity of operation underway and this is actually an ideal place to get a great perspective while docking. Navigation equipment includes the Simrad autopilot, GPS, Icom VHF, stereo, search light pad, Argonaut monitor display for radar and chart plotter, stabilizers, windlass control plus more. There is a stainless steel canvas wrapped folding Bimini top to keep the sun and rain away. The storage area underneath the forward coaming is huge.
• John Deere 6081 main engine (keel cooled with dry stack exhaust) with a ZF transmission on a 4:1 reduction gear spinning a five-blade propeller
• Spurs line cutter on main and wing engine shaft
• Lugger L-984D 70 HP wing engine with folding Gori propeller and 10-gallon day tank
• ABT Trac #250 digital active fin stabilization
• Sidepower 24V electric bow thruster
• Sidepower 24V electric stern thruster
• Cruisair air conditioning with four zones– saloon, pilothouse, master and guest stateroom. This system includes reverse cycle heating when warm air is desired.
• SeaFire fire suppression system for engine room and lazarette
• Oberdorfer oil changer for main, wing and generator
• Dual inlet sea chest for raw water cooling including custom chest vent
• Dual Racors for Main engine and Racor fuel filter with fuel transfer manifold
• Xantrex pure sine wave inverter with battery charger
• Mastervolt battery charger – 100amp
• Marinco TV/Phone inlet
• Northern Lights 20 kW Generator
• AC electrical system includes galvanic isolator
• Shore power connections in cockpit and on foredeck
• (2) 50’ 50-amp shore power cord
• Lifeline AGM batteries
• Lightning ground system
• Glendinning shore power cord system at stern
• Overhead lights with dimmers in saloon, pilothouse, master stateroom
• SSB ground with dyna plate
• Inverter bypass breaker set up in lazarette
• Fresh water deck wash down at bow, stern, engine room and boat deck
• Scandvik cockpit shower
• Tecma fresh water electric toilets in heads
• Stainless steel sink
• Grohe faucet
• Raritan 20-gallon hot water heater
• Headhunter Mach 5 fresh water pump – 110V
• Par Max back up fresh water pump – 24V
• Village Marine PW1200 - 1,200 gallon per day water maker
• GE Profile convection microwave – outboard above stove
• GE 18” dishwasher
• SubZero 700TC refrigerator
• SubZero freezer drawers with icemaker
• 30” GE Profile gas cook top with four propane burners
• GE 240V electric oven
• Broan trash compactor with teak face
• Granite counter tops in galley and heads
• Bosch clothes washer and Bosch clothes dryer (both front loading)
• Pantry lockers and drawers
• Deep Freezer in utility room
• Deere main engine panel with Murphy gauge – MMC controls
• Lugger wing engine panel with Morse controls
• Starburst pattern on pilothouse table
• Computer with Windows 7
• Linksys wireless network router (not connected)
• 19 Argonaut sunlight viewable pilothouse screens
• 15” Argonaut sunlight viewable waterproof screens on flybridge with splitters
• Interlink wireless RF keyboard and mouse
• Furuno 6kW 4.5’ open array radar
• Nobeltec Trident software with target acquisition
• Nobeltec passport electronic charts
• Nobeltec sounder with Airmar triducer for depth, speed and temp
• Furuno sounder with depth transducer
• Furuno FD50 AIS
• Comnav GPS heading sensor connected to computers
• XM weather receiver (disconnected)
• NMEA 2000 backbone with color displays in pilothouse and OSR showing weather, speed, depth and water temp
• Maretron USO ultra sonic wind and weather station on NMEA network
• USB long range wireless Wi-Fi access for marinas
• Simrad AP25 auto-pilot with two stations and Accusteer HPU-I50 with soft shift pump
• Furuno NavPilot 700 with Accusteer HPU-212-200 pump
• Icom M-504 VHF radio with loud hailer function
• Icom M-506 VHF radio on flybridge
• Icom M-802 SSB radio
• Wireless cellular phone amplifier
• Marinco TV/Phone exterior inlets
• Glomex TV antenna
• FLIR night vision
• KVH 7 satellite communications
• Nobeltec chart software
• 30” stainless steel vertical destroyer wheel
• Electric horn
• Windshield wiper controls
• TZT 14 “repeater” on flybridge
• Furuno 3D 24” Radar dome (back up radar)
• Maxwell windlass control
• Sidepower joy sticks for bow and stern thruster – with remote
• Ritchie compass
• Stidd helm chair
• Village Marine water maker control panel
• Weems and Plath Clock
• Weems and Plath Barometer
• ABT TRAC active fins stabilizer panel
• MMC electronic engine controls for main engine – pilothouse, flybridge, cockpit and starboard wing
• Maretron system
• Maxwell 3500 electric windlass
• 400 feet 1/2” HT chain
• 110 KG Rocna anchor with swivel and chain stopper
• Foredeck wash down
• Fortress FX85 spare anchor & chain & rope
• Walker Bay RIB 13’ rigid inflatable with center console with cover
• Yamaha four stroke 50 HP outboard (skid pad on deck)
• Dinghy hull chocks and tie downs
• White mesh screens for windows
• Bimini top – stainless steel folding frame, Sunbrella cover
• (2) helm chairs on flybridge
• Argonaut navigation color monitor
• TZT navigation color monitor
• Simrad autopilot on flybridge
• Furuno autopilot on flybridge
• ICOM VHF radio
• Controls on flybridge for bow thruster, ABT stabilizers and windlass
• Flag halyards
• Large teak ensign staff (varnished)
• Chain stopper on primary anchor
• Starboard side docking station on Portuguese bridge and cockpit docking station with engine and thruster controls, horn and windlass toggle
• Extended Swim platform
• Hot and cold fresh water shower
• Stern teak caprail - varnished
• Fishing rod holders
• Stainless hand rails in numerous additional places on deck
• Custom window covers for windows and hatches
• Designer accent pieces throughout
• Webasto diesel heating system with vents in saloon, master and guest stateroom
• Cruisair air conditioning system with remote compressors
• Oceanair screen/shades on master hatches
• 40” Sony flat screen TV on remote control lift in main salon
• Seatel coastal 24” dome satellite tracking television with (2) RF receivers
• Bose 123 AV system in saloon with DVD/CD player with tuner and two speakers with sub-woofer
• Pioneer stereo in pilothouse with XM input
• Custom bed mattresses in master stateroom and guest stateroom
• Rescue 6-man offshore life raft (note: recertified June, 2017)
• High water bilge pump
• All USCG safety equipment
• Added boat deck stack fans for engine room cooling
• Added TZ touch to flybridge
• Deep cleaning and detail in May 2017 interior and exterior
Terrapin is a USCG documented and registered vessel with US duty paid. The hull and topsides have been cleaned and waxed on a regular basis. All of the systems are proven and her equipment is sound. If you are in the market for an outstanding long-range passage maker at an exceptional price, please give Terrapin a very close look. An extensive photo inventory of Terrapin is available by request.
Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be true and correct, but cannot be guaranteed. Items excluded include, but are not limited to – Paintings, Tools and Binoculars. Owner’s personal effects and clothing will be removed prior to closing.
About the listing brokers: Jeff Merrill, CPYB (Certified Professional Yacht Broker) and Ray Danet, have extensive product knowledge of the trawler market and intimate knowledge of the Nordhavn 55 in general and Terrapin specifically. Please contact listing brokers, Jeff Merrill, CPYB or Ray Danet for additional information or to schedule a viewing appointment to inspect Terrapin.
Mobile phone: +1 772.215.9616 – call or text
Jeff Merrill, CPYB
Mobile phone: +1 949.355.4950 – call or text
Toll Free: 866.748.5419
Jeff is always available via Mobile (949) 355-4950 (call or text). You can send a detailed Email to: Jeff.Merrill@JMYS.com.
Jeff Merrill, CPYB
Mobile phone: +1 949.355.4950 – call or text
Toll Free: 866.748.5419
Skype: jeff.merrill Twitter: @merrillyachts
You Tube: Jeff Merrill Yachts LinkedIn: jeff.merrill
Website: www.JMYS.com Facebook: Jeff Merrill Yacht Sales
Certified Professional Yacht Broker
Licensed and Bonded in California and Florida.
Member California Yacht Brokers Association – President 2015 and 2016
Member Florida Yacht Brokers Association
Member Northwest Yacht Brokers Association
Member Yacht Brokers Association of America
Please contact listing brokers Jeff Merrill and/or Ray Danet directly to learn more and to schedule a visit aboard.
Brokers, this listing is available for co-brokerage at 50/50. Courtesy showings are available by appointment after signed co-op. Subject to appropriate licensing (CA/FL) where required
Specifications and details of this vessel are provided in good faith for informational purposes only. Details regarding the specifications, operating characteristics and condition of the vessel have been obtained from sources believed reliable, but the owner and brokers cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or the condition of the vessel. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, capacities, consumptions and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided and agrees to instruct his/her agent or surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Photos may include items that are not included in the purchase price. Vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price and inventory changes and withdrawal from market without notice.
3010 Old Ranch Parkway
Seal Beach, CA 90740